Sunday, September 4, 2011

Chocolate Coconut Squares


I recently saw a post on making your own chocolate bars.  I was pretty intrigued.  Although I've learned to make a lot of things at home, chocolate bars never really occurred to me.  What a brilliant idea.  Of course, I couldn't use the original recipe due to my dairy intolerance, but I figured coconut milk/oil would work splendidly.  And, well, yeah, it worked (probably too well!). 

I can't decide whether stumbling across these bars was the best or worst thing I've discovered in a long time:)  My husband says they taste like a Newari treat - Chaku - eaten with ghee (chocolate and clarified butter?).  My mom said they taste like a Mounds bar.  Everything thought they were fantastic.

So, disclaimer time.  Please remember that these are a treat/occasional indulgence.  Particularly if you are working on your body composition, remember that SUGAR=SUGAR=SUGAR, regardless of the fact that the ingredients are "healthier".  Accordingly, these absolutely delicable little squares should be treated as a treat.  But, when you do indulge, savor and enjoy!
 
 
Ingredients:
  • 1 cup coconut oil (melted)
  • 1/2 cup coconut milk (if you use the canned kind, try to get the "cream" that separates from the water)
  • 1/2 cup coconut crystals (I think honey or other sweeteners would work as well)
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
[The original recipe calls for 1 T vanilla extract and 1 tsp salt -- my palate is not necessarily all that sensitive and I couldn't tell a noticeable difference...so I left these out.  But, you might notice that these ingredients add a certain extra "oomph" that you enjoy.]
 
 
Directions:
  1. In a mixing bowl, combine all ingredients.
  2. Blend until thoroughly mixed.
  3. Line a small pan with parchment paper (or, grease the bottom of your pan well with coconut oil.  If you have candy molds - which I don't - you could use those as well).  Pour chocolate mixture into pan.
  4. Refrigerate for about 1/2 hour.  Then, cut chocolate into squares and refrigerate another hour or two.
  5. Best stored in the refrigerator...although if you're like my family, they don't last all that long.

No comments:

Post a Comment