Friday, August 5, 2011

Cure for the Common Egg: Curried Eggs

This is something I eat for breakfast.  Yes, I'm weird...but my family has known that for a long time:)  But, hey, breakfast is just another meal where I try to get quality protein, a little fat, and my veggies.  If you can't stomach this much spice for breakfast, it's good any time of the day.

Ingredients:
  • 1 dozen (12) hard-boiled eggs, halved or quartered
  • 1 can no-salt added fire-roasted tomatoes (sub fresh if you want)
  • 1 can full-fat coconut milk
  • 2-3 Tbs curry* (start with less and add more)
  • 2 small heads cauliflower, cut into florets
  • 1 bunch fresh spinach, cut roughly
Directions:
  1. If you don't already have hard-boiled eggs, begin by boiling eggs.
  2. Prep veggies (cauliflower and spinach).
  3. Combine together tomatoes (including liquid), coconut milk, curry, and cauliflower in a stock pot.
  4. Heat until boiling, then reduce heat and let simmer until cauliflower is almost cooked.
  5. Add eggs and spinach; cook until spinach is wilted and eggs are heated through [I leave the eggs for the end because I don't want them to get too cooked, but you could add them earlier if that's easier].
  6. Taste and adjust seasonings as necessary.
  7. Serve and enjoy, although it is even better the next day.

*  Curry
  • 2 parts turmeric powder
  • 2 parts paprika powder
  • 1 part salt
  • 1 part chili powder (adjust up or down for more or less heat)
  • 1 part cayenne powder (adjust up or down for more or less heat)
  • 1 part coriander powder

1 comment:

  1. Well, I must be pretty weird too, because this sounds delicious to me!

    ReplyDelete