Sunday, December 5, 2010

Sweet Potato Fries

This isn't a typical dish for me.  I don't generally eat a lot of sweet potatoes -- not because they aren't nutritious, but because they are a little carb dense for someone still working on body composition.  And, I haven't used my fryer in about, oh, 7 years.  But, it's my mom's birthday.  She's a good sport, eating everything I make, without complaint (even the flops!).  Truthfully, though, my real food/Paleo ways are not her cup of tea.  Thus, for her birthday, I wanted something she would enjoy, but made in a way that I felt was "okay" to eat.  Sweet potato fries were my answer...and boy, were they awesome!  I haven't had fast food since I converted, but homemade fries are SO much better...I can't imagine eating them at a fast food place again.  Also, I read that fries retain at least a 1/4 less oil when cooked in beef fat than vegetable oil.  Amazingly enough, they are also pretty easy to make (if your fat is already rendered, the only difficult part is cleaning up the fryer).

Ingredients:
  • 2 sweet potatoes (peeled or unpeeled, depending upon your preference)
  • Rendered beef fat (enough for your fryer or deep pan) [I rendered the fat myself...that's an adventure to share for another post!]
  • Kosher salt
  • Cayenne pepper
  • Cinnamon
Directions:
  1. Wash and peel (if applicable) sweet potatoes.  Cut into "steak" fries (thick wedges).  
  2. Place in a bowl.  Cover with ice water and let sit 15-30 minutes.
  3. Meanwhile, heat oil in your fryer (or pan) to 325 degrees F.
  4. Once the oil has reached temperature, dry potatoes and, working in batches, drop into your oil for 3-4 minutes.
  5. After each batch is finished, remove from the fryer and place on towels to drain excess grease.
  6. After all of the potatoes are cooked once, turn the temperature up to 375 degrees F.
  7. Working in batches, fry for another 3-4 minutes until potatoes are crisp.
  8. Remove from oil and immediately season with salt, cayenne pepper, and a little cinnamon.
  9. Best served hot.
Part of Real Food Wednesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment