I didn't set out to make halwa, I simply wanted to use some ingredients I had in the 'fridge. If you wanted to make a more elaborate version, add some raisins and nuts. Traditionally, sugar is added to the mix, but I think carrots are sweet enough without additional sugar. This is great as a side dish for dinner or perhaps even a light dessert.
- 5 large carrots, peeled and cubed
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup coconut milk (make sure there is no added "junk" in the milk)
- 1 Tbs ghee
- 1/2 - 1 tsp curry powder
- 1/4 tsp fresh grated ginger
- Pinch of cinnamon powder
- Boil carrots in water until soft. Drain and return carrots to pan (or food processor).
- Add coconut milk (amount depends upon how many carrots you used and how creamy you want the mixture), ghee, curry, ginger, and cinnamon. Mash (or blend/puree). Taste and add additional seasonings as needed.
- Serve warm or cold (yum...both versions were good!) and enjoy.
Part of Real Food Wednesday, Pennywise Platter, and Fight Back Friday. Inspiration abounds, check out some other good ideas.