Sunday, October 31, 2010

Pumpkin Pancakes

What can I say?  I love pumpkin!  I woke up today with the notion to make pumpkin pancakes.  These got two thumbs up from the mostly-paleo husband and not-so-paleo mom.  The inspiration for these comes from these totally awesome chocolate pancakes and a similar recipe in Robb Wolf's Paleo Solution.

Ingredients:
  • 2 pastured eggs
  • 1/4 cup shredded (unsweetened) coconut flakes
  • 1/2 cup pumpkin puree (if using canned, make sure the only ingredient is pumpkin)
  • 1/4 cup unsweetened almond or other nut butter (if you have a nut allergy, you might try unsweetened sunbutter)
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
  • 1/4 tsp ground ginger
  • 1/4 tsp ground cloves
  • Coconut oil (for cooking)
Directions:
  1. Heat griddle or pan.
  2. Whisk the ingredients together until a smooth batter is formed.
  3. Drop some coconut oil onto griddle or into pan.  Allow to melt.
  4. Add pancake batter and cook on one side until bubbles start to form on the top and around the edge, and bottom is lightly golden.  Flip and cook another minute or two.
  5. Serve with fruit, unsweetened jelly, maple syrup, or other condiment of choice (also good plain or with a little coconut butter on top).


2 comments:

  1. I am new to paleo- but am reaping the benefits already. Keep up the great recipes- I really appreciate them.

    Also- thanks for posting about the cholesterol. My husband's (26) is rising and his father has been on meds for years, so I figured we would be in the same boat and have to take meds. But now I can just slowly adjust my husband and paleo! Hurray!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best wishes on your journey. As time continues to pass, I think you'll be amazed by how great you feel:)

    ReplyDelete