Saturday, October 16, 2010

Flat Bread

Bread?  Have I gone mad?  Maybe I need to review the foods one eats while enjoying the Paleo lifestyle?  'Cause eating Paleo, one doesn't eat bread unless it's a rare indulgence (and you aren't gluten intolerant!).  And if it's made with nut flours, well, that's a pass too, at least most days.  

But hold on a minute before you stop reading about this totally awesome recipe I found here.  With only 3 (yes, 3) ingredients, one of which is a vegetable, you are going to be blown away.   Well, maybe not blown away in the same way you would with a fresh loaf of bread baked in a French bakery you found while walking down the streets of Paris...but pretty good, actually:)  I must admit I had doubts, but I was pleasantly surprised.  Another bonus:  an extra touch of veggies.  Although I'm lucky in that my family loves veggies, if you have kiddos or others who don't, this might be a great way to sneak in some extra veggies.  These come out thin and airy, but surprisingly sturdy (although I'm not sure you'd want them for say, sloppy joes).  Stay tuned for what I do with these bad boys in future posts (besides just eat them out of the pan...yum).

Ingredients:
  • 1/3 cup cooked, drained, and pureed veggies (you can probably use about anything; I used cauliflower)
  • 4 egg yolks
  • 6 egg whites (save the extra 2 yolks for something else)
  • 1 tsp salt (I think next time I'll use 3/4 tsp)
  • Ghee or oil to grease pans
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
  2. Cook and puree veggies.  If you already have leftover veggies, go ahead and puree them.  I tried to get a nice, smooth consistency.  You want the mash to be pretty thick, so make sure you drain your veggies first before you puree.
  3. Separate eggs.  Beat egg whites with salt until they are stiff.
  4. Mix yolks with veggies.
  5. Carefully fold veggie/yolk mixture with egg white mixture until blended.
  6. Grease the dickens out of a pan (or use Silpat, which I don't have...but may need some day:)).  Seriously, this is important.  I didn't grease my first batch well enough (though I thought I did at the time) and I lost half of my "bread" to the bottom of the pan.
  7. Either spread mixture over pan (which I did) or create pancake-like shapes (for hamburger "buns" perhaps).  Cook until top is lightly golden browned, about 30 minutes.
  8. Serve and enjoy.

1 comment:

  1. This is great! I'm going to link to this on my blog, if that's ok? :)

    ReplyDelete