Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Berry Muffins

Early this summer, I  followed the Whole30 program designed by Dallas and Melissa over at Whole9.  As part of the Whole30, they decree we "do not try to shove our old, crappy diet into a shiny new mold.  This means no “Paleo-fying” existing less-than-healthy recipes – no “Paleo” pancakes, pizza or Fudge Babies".   As advertised, the Whole30 program completed changed my life.  Seriously -- it's that good of a program.  Indeed, I have almost completely let go of emotional eating (hate to say it, but shoving mouth-fulls of broccoli mindlessly into the pie hole doesn't work at all the same as Cheetos do) and have eliminated my awful sweet cravings.  If you haven't given it a go, you really should.  And now, even months after the Whole30, I eat pretty much the same as I did before (okay, maybe a little more bacon or brisket, but other than that, pretty much the same:)).  However, my dear husband and mother, who are will go on through most of this Paleo journey with me, are not willing to shake everything.  Sweet treats being one of them.   Breakfast being another.  While they don't mind eggs for breakfast, they aren't willing to go with me on leftovers (I don't know why....I think it's all the marketing we've been subjected to telling us what foods are "breakfast" foods versus "dinner" foods...but I digress) and occasionally request something different...like muffins.  If they are going to eat these kinds of foods, then I prefer them to be made with better ingredients...hence, the muffin recipe.  And with only 1-2 T of sugar, and 12 muffins, they aren't really that bad for them.

I've had to tinker with this quite a bit to get the right consistency (either way too dry or way too moist).  But, by George, I think I've finally got it.  Let me just add, if you are working to lose weight, I'd stay clear of these until you either really need a treat (and then I'd probably make my way over to these cookies or something similar) or are closer to your ideal body composition.  Similarly, if you are working to overthrow your sweet demon, I'd hold off on these.

Ingredients:
  • 6 eggs
  • 1/2 cup coconut butter (I like it softened, at "room temperature")
  • 1-2 T honey
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1/2 cup coconut milk (I use the "cream" part from canned coconut milk -- don't shake the can before you open it and the "cream" will rise to the top)
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 cup coconut flour
  • Frozen berries (no need to defrost), small bag, no sugar added (blueberries are probably my husband's favorite)
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Mix together eggs, coconut butter, honey, vanilla, and coconut milk.  Set aside.
  3. Sift together salt, baking powder, and coconut flour.
  4. Slowly stir in dry ingredients with wet ingredients.
  5. Fold in frozen berries.
  6. Fill muffin tins with mixture (I got 12 muffins).
  7. Optional - sprinkle top with a little bit of coconut butter (that's the white stuff you see in the picture above -- it didn't melt, but the natives didn't seem to mind:)).
  8. Cook about 33 minutes or until knife comes out clean (your oven might be different, so start checking around 30 minutes or so).
  9. Let cool slightly and then serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment